Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

In 2014 we purchased a machine from a UK based company to

In 2014 we purchased a machine from a UK based company to cut steel plates out. Since the machine was purchased it has provided nothing but issues continually breaking down and wasting labour and materials. We have spoken with some solicitors about perusing the matter in court however this is proving to be financially unviable so we wanted to make public our experience with the company involved. The website I wish to build would be factual, and can include emails, phone calls, and engineer reports from the company. Our calls are recorded and this is stated on the bottom of our emails, as well as on our website. When we call someone we don't tell them calls are recorded though. Providing that I keep the information on the website factual and can back up any claims with evidence can I build it without leaving myself open to a libel claim?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Yes, you can.

Under the Defamation Act 2013 it is a defence to any claim to show it is true.

As such, yes if you are putting things which are true, there is no claim.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
providing that I keep the new website truthful and factual and I am very careful about this fact and can back up anything I put in there I can do this even though it is one company to another company?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
One other point, I am allowed to use the phone recordings on the new website? It is on the email signature about the recordings as well as on the website

Yes to the website and one company to another

Yes to the recordings if it is on the signature that they can be posted online.

If it just says you record calls, then you can't post them online

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think so, thank you. Is there anyway I can present the calls? Such as a transcript of a conversation? Am I OK to publish emails and their engineers reports or should these be kept back simply as evidence?

No. Unless permission was given. Engineers reports kept as evidence unless they are solely your reports

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I would just have to write for example
Machine failed on 22/11/17 2 days after the engineer came out. Called the company on 22/11,23/11,24/11 emailed them on the same days they responded on 25/11 and promised to get someone out by 30/11? this would be OK?

Yes. Fine.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That is perfect and thank you

Great