Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Can you be disciplined for arguing with a colleague in the

Can you be disciplined for arguing with a colleague in the pub on a Friday evening when it is a company function

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
19 years

It is certainly possible to be disciplined for events outside of work, if it in some ways affects the workplace. A typical example is the work Christmas party – it is not working time, it is usually outside of work, but there are people from work and if someone behaves inappropriately, there is still a link to work. Their actions could be placing the company into disrepute and that is in itself a disciplinary offence. The fact that it was a workplace function means that it can also be deemed to be an ‘extension’ of the workplace and whilst you would not be expected to adhere to exactly the same policies and principles as in work, there will be a general expectation to act appropriately and failure to do so can result in disciplinary action. This is not uncommon at all, it does happen quite frequently.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry it should have read not a company fuction just a beer with some colleagues

thank you. Even if not an official work function, the fact that there is a connection with work colleagues could mean that you can be disciplined, but the fact that it was not work related and considering your length of service, I still consider that this should only result in a warning at most