Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have been asked to attend an interview under caution. I

I have been asked to attend an interview under caution. I would like to know, if I show the police some evidence, photos and documents, do they have the legal right to keep it or can I bring it home with me?

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. If the evidence is relevant for the purposes of the investigation, the police have the right to keep it. This is provided for in the Police Property Act. Essentially, this Act gives the police power to seize and hold any evidence which is relevant to an investigation. The person from who it is taken, can apply to the police at the conclusion of the investigation for the property back if it is not returned. So, if there is some photo or document which you show to the police which is relevant for the purposes of their investigation, you won't be able to bring it home with you. So, you should make a copy of take a photo of anything you might have to hand over to the police.

2. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In your opinion should I take any evidence in? Or am I just doing there job for them?

3. You should take the evidence in if you believe it to be relevant. The important point is that you don't get yourself involved in perverting the course of justice by suppressing something which is relevant. That will come back to bite you on the bum. Ultimately, the police will do their job, whether you help them or not. The only issue for you is that you don't stand in their way because that will have adverse consequences for you.