12826847

My son was given an Osman warning saying his life was in

My son was given an Osman warning saying his life was in real immediate danger. On it the police had written ' due to your criminal activity which is false and instantiated. He has no criminal record and has never been hurt by anyone. I refused to sign it but said that I still value the
warning itself and will take precautions. They tried to tag him as a gang member, saying it is based on 'intelligence' and suggested we let him go to sessions with a gang worker to let him try to get out of It. Again false and unsubstantiated. The police have since referred my family to social services and they have arranged a Child Protection conference for all 3 of our children, 6yrs and 9yrs, saying basically cause I refused to sign and go ahead with the gang workshops we were being uncooperative. My questions are
1. What is criminal activity and have a right and jurisdiction for not signing
2. Can my son be forced into these workshops based on misrepresentation and false intelligence?

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

why did the police give this warning?

Actually it doesn't matter really.

1 Criminal activity is any criminal offence. Normally it refers to gang activity. You can refuse to sign if you want to but then that will increase the risk to him.

2 No but if he doesn't he racks up the chances of being prosecuted and of social services interest. the young children are particularly vulnerable as this will be considered a child protection issue.

It would be a good idea to engage.

jo

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
But isn't that being forced to agreeing to a lifestyle that you are not living, in this case. He goes college 5 days a week, has matches a couple of evenings. The intelligence is false, what leg do the innocent stand on.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
In this case, engage means to comply
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What would happen if he moves to an uncle hone from London to Birmingham, prior to the Child Protection Conference takes place so that the ' threat' is removed via this measure
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What is gang activity?

But if the information is false then the workshops will do no harm?

It is really a matter for you. I am just making the point that principles can be expensive.

The issue is not particularly him but the other children. Child protection issues are child protection.

you might well contest it and succeed but you need to understand the risk.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
they will do harm. He will be misrepresented and falsely tagged as a gang member and placed in the gang matrix. Studies have shown and a review is going through the government right now, that subjects in the matrix, are disadvantaged in regards ***** ***** education, jobs and receive harsher prison sentences if this were the case. 90% on it are black, 12-20 males, 35% who have no criminal record. 75% who have been victims themselves. You see it is not a matter of principle, it is a matter of a civil right and saying no to racism and stereotyping that has a inevitable negative effect on individuals
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If he moves out of the household and city to a responsible family member, is working and still continuing his education prior to the meeting, is that viewed as the 'danger' is eliminated?

Not particularly.

It depends whether they are concerned it is a localised issue.

It is really a matter for you but it is not likely to bring it to an end.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will it bring it to an end for the other children if he is in another city and not living with them?
Or is it comply or risk them taking our children away.
I'm not getting an extra charge for this am I?
What if he went abroad?
what is gang activity and do they need proof Or suspicion enough?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Btw, the investigating Social Worker said that she was going to close the case and no further action. Then 2 weeks later she phoned saying her manager had overridden her and it was going to a Child Protection conference, despite her view it shouldn't. Is this common?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also to coerce me to sign the Osman the police were saying it is the same for everyone and if they had a threat, they would get the exact same document and wording ie, ' referring to criminal activity . I have them on tape...can they lie to get a signature?

Not necessarily.

I am sorry but I can't tell you that it will go away for certain unless you engage.

It might pay off. It might not. You are taking a risk.

I am not going to be able to tell you that you are not.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What is gang activity you refer to?
Also do you have to have a written mailed letter inviting you to a Child Protection meeting?

Gang activity could involve any connection at all. It is a matter of police intelligence.

Not sure what you mean about the child protection

Delighted to continue with this but please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will rate it definitely in a short while when I understand this a little more.
What I mean is I haven't received an official letter through the post, telling us about the meeting; who will be there etc, and it's tomorrow. We feel unprepared and not fully informed as a result. Can we ask for a reschedule and should we have been written to?

..

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm confused. Do you mean £51 for further clarification/questions or end it here rating the answers now and just paying the £31 I've paid already
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you saying no more answers unless I pay £51?

Sorry but I can't continue as this is becoming a long chain and you have not rated.