Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

We have installed a power driven gate on a commercial site

We have installed a power driven gate on a commercial site which is not the right shade of colour specified by the customer. The gate is working perfectly (for the last 6 months) but the customer is still insisting that it is removed and re-finished the correct colour. We have offered to re-finish the gate in-situ but the customer is saying that the new finish will not be as durable as the original.Where do we go from here?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Is it likely to be not as durable? Is the customer a consumer?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
The customer is a large insurance company and the new finish is being offered with a 25 year warranty which is far in excess of the original powder coat finish.

Ok. So the warranty would still apply if done in situ?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.

Ok then they can not refuse. It makes no difference to the warranty.

They are not a consumer so the Consumer Rights Act 2015 won’t apply.

Therefore you can refuse and only do it in situ. It makes no difference to the product.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
The new paint surface will not be as 'vandal resistant' as the original surface which is a powder coat finish - will this make any difference?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hi - will I get a reply to my last question?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Jamie - can you come back to me on this.

Sorry I was in court. No, it won’t make any difference, but if they gates are vandalised you may be liable for cleanup.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Jamie - The customers order to us says that the gate must be finished with a powder coat - which it was, but with the wrong colour. The proposed re-finish (which will be applied over the original powder coat) will be a paint finish of the right colour - does this make a difference?

Ok, so it will still be the same ?

Then that is all you need to do. Repaint

Does that clarify?

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the bottom of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.