How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 72896
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have inherited £32,000 from my mother. Approxiamately £

This answer was rated:

I have inherited £32,000 from my mother. Approxiamately £ 12,000 has been spent due to her wishes in her will and other expenses. I receive PIP and income support. Do I need to contact DWP ? Will this affect my benefit? Thankyou for your advice.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Which benefits do you get?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
PIP, income support inclusive of extra money for illness. please note that I have calculated money already spent inclusive of my mothers wishes in her will. This totals £15,605.

I am sorry but it will affect your benefits.

These are means tested benefits and anything over £6k needs to be declared.

If you have over £15k then that brings about the end to benefits altogether until it is under £6k.

I am sorry but that is the law.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thankyou for your advice. I will contact DWP today.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile

Jo C. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you