12826847

I have inherited £32,000 from my mother. Approxiamately £

I have inherited £32,000 from my mother. Approxiamately £ 12,000 has been spent due to her wishes in her will and other expenses. I receive PIP and income support. Do I need to contact DWP ? Will this affect my benefit? Thankyou for your advice.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Which benefits do you get?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
PIP, income support inclusive of extra money for illness. please note that I have calculated money already spent inclusive of my mothers wishes in her will. This totals £15,605.

I am sorry but it will affect your benefits.

These are means tested benefits and anything over £6k needs to be declared.

If you have over £15k then that brings about the end to benefits altogether until it is under £6k.

I am sorry but that is the law.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thankyou for your advice. I will contact DWP today.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/