How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 72953
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am hoping to have my sopo changed as I am building a new

This answer was rated:

Hi I am hoping to have my sopo changed as I am building a new life with my partner and wondered what I need to write so her family can visit
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Norfolk england
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Filed or reported in what way?
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was released In Jan 2014 my probation has finished and I have spoken with ppu about this they told me to write to the crown court I was just wondering what to write
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I would like some advice on what I need to write to court to apply to have my sopo changed so family can come to visit at my home. My ppu officer has said I should be able to change it by applying to court. To start I would hope for a change to supervised contact.
I am building a new life with myPartner and we both have family that we would love to visit and this change would make it possible

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Do you mean a sopo or a sexual hard prevention order?

When was it imposed?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is a sopo I would like to try to change which was imposed in Oct 2010

It is for life?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Its a life sopo
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I received a 6 year 6 month sentence

Are you trying to remove it completely?

Or just vary it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Eventually I hope to remove it but I believe I have to wait till 2025 to try, 15 years after conviction.
But I'm hoping to change it to no unsupervised contact so our family can visit us at home

Thank you.

You can make an application to vary this order. Nobody can stop you doing that. These orders are often varied. However, you have to show a change of circumstances.

It might be that nobody envisaged this particular circumstance when the judge imposed the order. On the face of it, I would expect there to be concerned about this.

I don't know what's your SOPO says but this is not unsupervised contact if you just propose for her family to visit. Obviously any interested person would need to be notified and probably attend court to give evidence of their support.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am growing a happy relationship with my partner who has 3 children the youngest who is 19 and looking to the future when they have children of their own it would be nice if they were able to visit.
Also my sister has a daughter who is 12 and it would be nice to be able to invite them to the house

Yes, but remember the court's concern will the safety of children.

The issue is not your convenience. Orders do have to be proportionate though so a compromise might be reached. Seems to me that this isn't unsupervised though.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have spoken with PPU about this change and they are happy for me to write to the court to ask for the change. I was just looking for advice on what I would need to write when applying to the court for this change

You need to write to the court giving notice of your intention to apply for variation to allow for various visitors and asking them to list it. You need to send CPS a copy as they are entitled to know if your intentions.
Ideally the firm that held legal aid for you originally would do it for you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm do not want to apply for unsupervised it was a missunderstanding in my wording I wrote no unsupervised contact so I will be applying to have my sopo changed to allow supervised contact at my address. My sopo does not allow anyone u 16 to visit my address , this is what I'm hoping to change

I'm sure that won't be problem.

I'm rather surprised your SOPO doesn't cover that already.

Jo C. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you