How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11057
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Ive rented this property for a year with someone. deciued to

This answer was rated:

ive rented this property for a year with someone. deciued to end the lease in april. the other decided he wants the property which is ok butr the thing is i have yet to receive my deposit back from the let agency. im my mind they are trying to hold on to it until the house is fully tured over. can they do that?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Has the other person moved out?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No they haven’t . They are trying to get the property rented to them

And when did your agreement end? When did you move out?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It ended on the 10 April I moved out on the 6 april

Your deposit should have been returned within 2 weeks.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you