How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 72950
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have taken the Cambridgshire Highways advice and paid for

This answer was rated:

I have taken the Cambridgshire Highways advice and paid for an H marking on my dropped kerb. My neighbour insists on parking over the edge of it which makes my access difficult.
Who is responsible for upholding the no parking law re dropped kerb/H bar markings?
The district council say they are not responsible, neither the local police, nor Highways!

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thats good

If they are blocking access then the police really should do with them.

It is an offence of obstruct the highway.

That really mean blocking the highway though. Slight over hanging is not sufficient.

The council could issue a fine but they are not likely to.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What is the advantage of having the Bar marking if "no parking ' on it can not be enforced? Can I ask for a refund from Highways as its not worth having.


It can be enforced.

Just not for overhanging that doesn't impact anything.

That is not blocking access. That is just being mildly annoying.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. If it was blocking access would that be a police matter of district council

The Council can issue fines but they won't. Wardens dont work like that.

The police should although you need to phone the non emergency number.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. Thank you for your help.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you