Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I've been made bankrupt in January 2018, in August 2017 i

I've been made bankrupt in January 2018 , in August 2017 i sold my house and received a lump sum 45k the property was in joint names between me and my wife. The money was paid into my wife's bank account. My questions is, what are the implications of my wife receiving money from me when i sold the house ?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Why was it paid into your wife's account?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
We paid into my wife's account out of simplicity really, we wasn't sure how to go about it when the house was sold .

Ok - does she still have your share?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No , we spent the money on buying another business after spending a little on a holiday. But the business is now up for sale or for rent.

It is a debt then. The Official Receiver will be entitled to the proceeds.

As it looks like you sold the asset, had the money into your wives account to avoid paying creditors.

As such the Receiver will likely want your share back.

So the OR can claim it back and indeed from the business or any assets it may own.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.