13262538

My son and his ex wife are to be divorced this year. They

My son and his ex wife are to be divorced this year. They have a caravan which was going to be kept in storage this year. For the sake of our 7 year old Granddaughter I paid for the site fees which they can’t afford at the moment with an unwritten caveat that she doesn’t get to use it. Now, his wife is demanding the use of the caravan, saying that she will take the matter to her solicitor.

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

For clarity - the caravan belongs to them both - you have simply paid the site fees?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the caravan belongs to them both and I paid the site fee for this year. The caravan was said to be a ‘family’ one that would include my husband’s and my use of it for the last 3 years.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also, the paying of the site fees included paying for the siting of the caravan from a holding area then, at the end of the season, being put into storage again.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello? Have we lost connection?

Was the agreement over the fees made with your son's ex as well as your son?

Do you intend to use the Caravan this year?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
His ex was only aware that there was no money for fees. She was made aware that I was paying them before the event and was aware of the condition I. e that she was not to use it. She made no objections.We have alreday used it with the grandchild several times and plan continuous use this year.

I am afraid that your son's ex wife does indeed have the right to use the caravan despite your having paid the fees.

If you had paid them but never used the caravan yourselves then you MIGHT have been able to enforce your unwritten expectation, however since she is still a joint owner she can argue that your payment was a form of "rent" for that time.

I know that this is not what it was, but the court may well take her side

Eventually the ownership of the caravan is something that will need to be dealt with within the fInancial Settlement of the divorce.

Please ask if you need further details