How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35574
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My husband has past away and we been seperated for some time

This answer was rated:

Hi my husband has past away and we been seperated for some time now .he still was suppose to return money to me .we don’t know what bank he was with and the rest of the family have already taken his belongings but there asking me to take power of attorney on his bank
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Did he leave a Will?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No will left that I know off
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
His family are asking me to give them power of attorney through a solicitor

How much are you owed - and what assets did he have?

Does he have any children?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He has no children .i don’t know what assets he has .
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He deserted me in 2009 and owes me £19800 but I have no proof of it

Just for complete clarity - there has not been a divorce?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No there hasn’t been no divorce
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just to let you know we are both Filipino .we moved here once we got married .after a while he deserted me for no reason .i was on a dependant visa .since then I have met someone new.i contacted him by Facebook but he never reply and I asked for divorce many times but he never answer me
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I found out he passed away in his sleep 01/01/2018 . I have his address which he was a live in carer.and I have his birth certificate

Did he die here in the Uk?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
can you help ? What do we have to do?

Then all his assets belong to you - all his personal possessions and all of his money belongs to you and you alone.

If you are willing to let his family have most things then that would be very generous - but I suggest that you inform them that you will only do so provided they agree to give you the first £20,000 of any money in the bank.

The fact that they have already taken his belongings means that they have in fact stolen them - so you are in a very strong position

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
But it’s been since 2009 since we last saw each other, and he deserted me .we tried to contact him since for a devorce before through Facebook but never replied .do I still hold a good case?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If you think still we have a good case and this is worth going forward what are your fees if you fully act on our part ? We have his address we’re he we was live ing at and we’re he died and his death certificate. We have no idea what bank he has or any possession s etc .how would we go about all this thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

You were still married so the Intestacy laws apply and everything is yours.

I suggest that you start to negotiate with his family to reach a satisfactory outcome

Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We tried to talk to his auntie in this country as she got in touch with me wanting to sign everything over to her .i said let me sort it out and I have what is owed to me but they said no ...,you are not getting nothing .also they don’t believe me once it’s cleared with me that I give them the rest . So how do I go about this now ? How do I find his bank etc ? Can you have means of finding out and handling my case for me ?