ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

I'm trying to fill in an acknowledgement of service form

Hello, I'm trying to fill in an acknowledgement of service form that has been sent to me via my wife's solicitor for the court in Bury St. Edmunds. I'm unsure how to answer 3 of the questions:
* Do you intend to defend the case
*Do you consent to a decree being granted
*Even if you do not intend to defend the case do you object to paying the costs of the proceedings
Could you advise please?
Mark

Hello Mark

Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

Please may I ask:

- do you want to be divorced?

- do you agree with the reasons for the divorce petition?

- has your ex ticked the box near the back of the form to state that they are seeking the costs of the divorce?

kind regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello Caroline,Yes I do. My wife has filed for divorce. Yes I agree with the reasons for the divorce. I do not see why I should pay the coast of the proceedings though. I'd be happy to pay half as that seems fairMark

Hello Mark

Thank you for your response and for confirming that for me.

Just to clarify - on page 11 - question 11.2 has your wife ticked that she is seeking costs?

kind regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
It only goes up to question 10. But I understand that she is seeking costs

Sorry - not on your acknowledgement form but on her divorce petition.

What does it say at 11.2 on that divorce petition?

kind regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I don't have the divorce petition in front of me. They've only returned the acknowledgement form to me to be completed. I remember though that she was seeking costs

Thank you for confirming that for me.

The court has made an error just sending you the acknowledgment of service form to complete without sending you a copy of the divorce petition to which you are responding too.

First thing to do is the call the court and explain to them that you have not received the divorce petition and therefore cannot complete the acknowledgement of service form until you have this.

The court will then send you a copy of the divorce petition so you know what you are responding too.

If you want to be divorced then you can complete that you do not intend to defend the case. If you do not agree with the reasons used by your wife but you still want to be divorced then you can still confirm that you will not defend the divorce but that this is on the basis that you do not agree with the reasons used by your wife in your divorce and that you reserve your right to defend such allegations should she attempt to use the same in any other proceedings.

You can again confirm that you do consent to a decree being granted in the case if you do not want to contest the divorce.

In relation to the costs - when you get the divorce petition check what has been put at 11.2 - if costs are not being sought then you can say that costs are not being sought. If costs are being sought then you can object on the basis it is not your petition. If you do this you will need to provide the court with written reasons before the decree nisi pronouncement as to why you object. The Judge will then consider these and decide.

Let me know if I can assist you further

kind regards

Caroline

Please kindly remember to rate positively by using the stars so that credit is received for helping you today

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you very much
Mark

Your very welcome. Glad I could help. Thank you for using Just Answer.