12826847

We have received a letter from DRP in relation to an

We have received a letter from DRP in relation to an outstanding parking fine that was issued by CPM.The fine was issued at SGS college in Bristol, my wife and daughter were attending a table tennis competition. On arrival at the venue my wife went inside and paid for her car park stay and was given a written receipt for this transaction of five pounds.We then received a letter from CPM issuing a parking charge of £100.00. On receipt of this letter we sent back to them a copy of the receipt and a covering letter from the college confirming our payment.We then received a second letter from them chasing the money
on receipt of this letter i then phoned CPM who claimed that they had not received our letter and they requested that i send out a second copy and on this occasion we sent it recorded delivery.We didn't receive a reply so we thought the matter had been cleared and a the start of this week we have received this letter from DRP at this moment in time we have not responded to this letter.On the provided written receipt other car registrations were provided and none of these vehicles have been issued parking fines.Can you please advise where we stand on this matterThanks
Darren Clynes

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Are you willing to risk being sued?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Evening, can please confirm if i should pay this outstanding fine

it depends on how much risk you want to take.

Are you prepared to risk being sued?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
not much risk and i do not wanted to be sued, but it seems unfair to have this fine when we have paid and got written confirmation and no other letter from them saying they were going further with the claim

Yes, you do have a defence.

But they may sue and you cannot hide from that. They didn't use to sue anybody at all but they have lost control over the industry so it is possible that they could. They are generally becoming more aggressive now. There is probably about a 10% chance of that happening.

If they do sue then you can defend on the basis that cost of parking was paid so you should not be liable.

Personally I wouldn't pay it but then I am comfortable about being sued. Some people just can't take the risk.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If we do not pay what action will DRP then take

Probably they will just send you more debt collection letters.

But there is a risk they could sue.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is it worth me speaking to them to explain that i never received a reply from CPM when i sent them my receipt and letters providing proof we had paid?

Not really.

I would ignore them.

Nothing will be achieved by talking to them.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What action would i need to take if they tried to sue me?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
with the information i have got would i have a good chance of winning the case if they tried to sue me?

It depends on their basis.

I don't know why they are saying you haven't paid? Are they saying you overstayed?

I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
in the letters we have received from CPM it states failure to pay for the duration of the stay which was between 9.12 and 17.09, my wife was informed to pay £5.00 for the car park for her duration of her stay

Ok. They are saying that you were overstayers.

Do the signs at the location comment upon how much you have to pay?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
my wife was informed to pay inside so she never looked for any signs. But what I don't understand is why they are not chasing other people who arrived and left at the same time
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also in the letters it never mentions that we have over stayed

If this is an issue of overstating then there may be no defence. Then you would have up argue the signs were inadequate.