Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

We took on a contract whereby we were paid 80 per cent on

We took on a contract whereby we were paid 80 per cent on delivery and 20 percent on installation.that installation gas been delayed by customer for 16 months and weve asked for full payment b4 we install. They say no

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

What are you installing for the customer?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
A large paint plant

OK thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Thanks for your patience. Both you and the other side will be bound by the terms you had agreed to at the outset. So first of all the 80/20 split would have been binding on you both as a term of the contract. However, if there was a specific installation date or window and the other side has now delayed it without having the contractual right to do so, they will be acting in breach of the contract themselves. Whilst that does not automatically give you the right to ask for full payment before installation, it can be used as a negotiating tool where you state that due to their breach, you can potentially terminate the whole contract but you will still proceed with the delayed installation date if you get the required security by getting paid in full.

Sadly, none of this is going to be dependent on any specific laws – it is going to come down to negotiations between you and them.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? Do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the response to your query? I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks