F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

My mother died recently and as executor of her will a need

My mother died recently and as executor of her will a need certified copies of her will to send to insurance companies etc. The problem I have is the firm of solicitors who wrote the will appear to no longer exist. What do I do?

Hello for clarification - how long ago did she do this will?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was done in 1997

You need to contact the Law Society because whenever a firm of solicitors closes or is taken over, all the deeds and all the wills will go from one firm to another. They don’t just get abandoned.

So they will be somewhere in the Law Society will tell you who took over the files wills and the deeds. It’s not an uncommon question. You should find the Law Society quite helpful.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I’m happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. It’s important you use the rating service because that gives me credit. It doesn’t just give me a pat on the head! (Although there is an incentive scheme where the more five-star ratings I get, I do actually get a pat on the head! :-)) All you need to do is press Submit. Thank you.

If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES.