How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 55169
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I sub contract off of a local athourity through the main

This answer was rated:

I sub contract off of a local athourity through the main contractor. I have been paid for works done but they are withholding over £9000 from work done and approved since the other works completed. This has been going on for over a month and I have not done any work for them since as I don’t know if I will get paid for it. How do I stand with the money they owe me and do they have the right to hold on to my money for this

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Why are they refusing to pay you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Because work done late last year has not been paid by local authority for jobs I have completed and been paid for. So main contractor holding monies from my last 3 invoices to cover what council have not paid them. Totals £9600
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Actually it is £10146.38 including vat
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Seeing as I’ve had no reply on this can you refund me both the £47 you took and the £42 for the phone call I never received please

Hi there, sorry for delay in replying – we are practicing lawyers and often are in court or with face to face clients and really work on here in our spare time, hence the great reduction in fees you would normally pay to speak to us. It does mean we cannot always reply straight away. Do you still wish to get a refund?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If you can help me then that’s fine. I just need advice on weather what they are doing is legal. Any permission to carry out works is there problem as I only do what we are instructed to do and in some cases they take roofs off and I only put the new roofs on.

This will be covered by contract, in a sense that it is not going to be a matter for any piece of law, but would depend on what the contract says. You will be working under a specific contract, with agreed terms, and these are what define your rights in this situation. The terms of the contract may say that they can withhold such payments in the event that they are not paid by the Council, or if there are delays, etc. Basically, if they are trying to withhold money, they should only do so if the contractual terms allow them to do so. If they do not, then they will potentially be acting in breach of contract and you can consider taking this to the county court if you get no luck with getting them to pay you.

Please take a quick second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss the steps you need to follow if you had to make a claim. There is no extra cost for this - leaving your rating now will not close the question and means we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will find out but I’ve not seen a contract. I won’t be able to find out until Monday. Can I still continue this then with you Ben

Yes of course