Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Can my wife sell her half of our house if we change to

Can my wife sell her half of our house if we change to tennents incommon

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. Yes, your wife can sell her half share in your house if you are tenants in common. Essentially, you then each own half and whilst you are named as owners of the whole, each half share is freely saleable. However, you need to realise that the reality is that there are few takers for a half share in a house in which someone else is living. There will be zero purchasers so long as you are living there as any purchaser will not want to live with you. Instead, the most likely outcome is that the whole house would be sold if there was someone who purchased half as it would have to be sold to them at a discount. They then would want the whole place sold, not to live with you. So really, the bot***** *****ne is that your wife´s half share is not really freely saleable without a purchaser wanting the whole place sold.

2. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website despite answering your question.