12826847

I have moved house and forgot to change my licence and car

I have moved house and forgot to change my licence and car reg documents. I got a speeding ticket 32mph in a 30mph. I missed the letter as it was sent to my old address. I got a text to say I had failed to pay fine. I called and they said I now have a £800 fine and 6 points. I have paid fine (as it my fault) but can I do anything about points as it was an honest mistake?

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

You will have been convicted in absence. You could go to the magistrates court and ask them to reopen it.

They might well do that.

however then you are still left with a prosecution for failing to identify and there is case law that says that not knowing because you haven't notified is not a defence. That said, it is regularly disapplied so you may well be lucky.

Overall, it is probably worth a try.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Would there be additional costs involved if I asked them to re open it and is there a chance I would be prosecuted further/other than the fine I’ve already paid and the 6 points? I’m concerned I would be fined £1k for not declaring my change of address. Or be left with court costs.

No but the difficulty with that is that you have paid.

Actually you would probably reduce costs because you would plead to something but then you have to recover the money which is hard to do.

I suppose if you contested it unreasonably all over again then they could add costs but they wont.