Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have council tax arrears and i am paying them of every

hi i have council tax arrears and i am paying them of every month puls paying this years of as well my dispute is that the council have involved bailiffs and are trying to put charges on top of the arrears i can understand that if i was not already paying of the debt is this legal please

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Did the Council accept your repayment plan?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
they are accepting payments

Did they set up the payment plan or you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I asked for balance of account so that I could arrange payment plan they sent me balance of arrears which I have been paying of plus paying of this years Jamie I have refused to deal with the baillifs as my debt is with the council plus the balance from the bailiffs is 750 extra to the councils balance how is that legal

Park that for a moment. Who set up the payment plan - you or the Council?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did and they have accepted payments for last three months

They never said they were going to instruct bailiffs?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I really can’t afford to pay anything else out Jamie it’s tight as it is

Yes I understand, I think it is automated.

You need to write to the Chief Officer of the Council and make a formal complaint.

You need to say the arrears have been paid off for the last 3 months and the payment plan was accepted.

Say its unfair that they want to charge £750 extra for something which is already in place.

If they do not uphold the complaint you can then complain to the Local Government Ombudsman.

They will investigate the matter and report back to you. They offer a free, independent service at: www.lgo.org.uk
That should resolve the matter for you

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not to me first I knew of it was the knock on the door I refused to pay anything as I explained that I was already paying it witch they could see by the records apparently it’s happening a lot with other people how can this be legal ? It’s a form of extortion surely

I would agree. It is legal as they have a liability order.

But go through the Chief Officer and Ombudsman. That should resolve it.

Enforcement should only be used where no payment plans/payments have been made
Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That’s what I understood it as thank you Jamie

Great. Can I help with anything else today?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No thank you again you’ve put my mind at ease

Pleasure. Please do take a moment to leave a positive rating before you go today - thanks