12826847

Received a parking charge notice via post for £100 in a car

Received a parking charge notice via post for £100 in a car park that gives 30 mins free parking as apparently did not obtain free parking ticket. I was there for twenty minutes the time arriving and leaving are stated on the notice. In fact i wasn't actually parking but waiting to pick up my son from work who works in a retail outlet there.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Who is the issuer please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Britannia parking

Are you willing to risk being sued?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How big is the risk

Not particularly but it is there.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am assuming they would have to take me to small claims court swing as I was parked for twenty minutes in a car park that gives 30 mins free parking how likely is it they would win

On the face of it, you do not park within their required terms and conditions. Come what may, you didn't obtain a free parking ticket. It might very well have been that you were entitled to it but that is not the same as displaying it.

Then it depends what the signs that the location required you to do. If they were clear that you had to get a free ticket and they were visible then that would cover them.

That is an issue that will turn upon the wording of the signs and their location and adequacy.

Overall though, it's not very cost-effective for them to sue and so it is worth contesting this if you are prepared to run the risk.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you considering that they have not incurred any loss by my actions a £100 charge seems ridiculous would a small claims court see it like this?

No. Case of Beavis. Sum of the loss point is lost.

This will turn upon an issue of their signs if this ever does get to court.

The real advantage with these things is that it is not really cost effective to sue so probably they wont

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks. Is it worth going down the appeal route first or ignore their letters until/if a court summons occurs?

I would ignore them.

I never use the appeals service. They rarely find in the motorists favour and it just lets them know you take it seriously.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for that . Hypothetically how much could it cost me if went to court and they found in their favour?

The sum of the fine plus £35 in costs and £55 fixed solicitors costs.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok Thanks for your advice

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/