Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I am a PhD student studying at Brighton University. I

I am a PhD student studying at Brighton University. I finished my studies and was looking for a shipping company to help me with shipping my belongings.
had 10 boxes and 8 large paintings to ship to Saudi Arabia.I contacted 3 different companies. The prices ranged from 500 to 1250."Baggage Hub" shipping company gave me a quotation for 985 pounds door to door service. I was happy with the price and service since they said they will come to my place and put all the painting on 1 crane that they will bring to my place.I was never sent the reference number and the paper or flier that has their logo and should have had my name and address and the name and address of the house where it shipped to.When the driver came to pick the 18 items, I was surprised he has nothing to put on the boxes and has no crane for the paintings. He said No the crane is in the storage and you should have printed out what we sent you with the reference number, which I never received. I called the company and they realised they have never sent me this.I had no printer to print and the driver was in a rush he couldn't wait until I print, which isn't his mistake but is "Josh's" mistake who never sent me the email with all the details.I wrote on the boxes with a marker the reference number that I received after calling the company that day.They took all 18 items on Tuesday 8th May, I never heard back from them.I sent 3 emails and never heard back.I called Friday the 11th. they said will send you the invoice to pay now. they sent me an invoice for 1829 instead of the 985 that we agreed on.I decided to take my items back since the price was double what we agreed on. I was told I will be charged for them to send me back my items.I said I will send a driver to the storage house in London to pick up all items. They said there will still be a fee to take my things back.They charged me 422 pounds just so I can pick up my items + the 50 pounds that was paid as deposit!In short, I was charged 472 pounds without any shipment, just so I can pick up my luggage because they gave me double the price on what was agreed on.Why am I being charged 472 pounds ?!The deposit was to ship the items, which never happened because I received a completely different price !How can I get my money back?
What can I do?Thank you

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How did you pay them - credit card, bank transfer, etc?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Debit card

Are you still in the UK and if so - how much longer for?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am for 3 more weeks... sorry one more think, I already paid the fee for consolation.. if it wasn’t sent to you but to another lawyer then please don’t answer me. I can afford to pay another fee.

There is only one fee and it is assigned to whoever answers this question, which is me, so all is fine thank you.

Whilst you can challenge them over these costs, the issue is that if they refuse to reimburse you, the only way for you to take this further would be to go to the small claims court. This is the lowest civil court in the UK, which deals with small-scale disputes like this one and the fees and risks are relatively low. The problem is that a claim will definitely take more than 3 weeks so you would either not be able to pursue it as you are out of the country or you have to come back to deal with it as you would need a UK correspondence address and also to attend the final hearing.

So here are optional for you but it may be difficult due to your personal circumstances because you are soon leaving the country and you will not be able to ensure that the whole claim is completed before you go.

Please take a quick second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular, can also discuss the steps you need to follow if you wanted to claim anyway. There is no extra cost for this - leaving your rating now will not close the question and means we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
please, I would appreciate it if you tell me the steps to do so...

Of course, please take a quick second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular, can also discuss the steps you need to follow if you wanted to claim anyway. There is no extra cost for this - leaving your rating now will not close the question and means we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Thank you. If a party wishes to pursue another for a debt arising out of a dispute between them, they can do so by making a claim in the civil courts. As legal action should ideally be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve lawyers or the courts. These can be summarised below and it is recommended the following procedure is followed to try and progress this matter further:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time, usually 7 to 14 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the debt in question. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. Once the claim form is completed a copy will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. Once they are aware that legal proceedings have commenced it may also force them to reconsider their position and perhaps prompt them to contact you to try and resolve this.

4. As an alternative to legal action a debtor can be issued with a formal statutory demand. This is a legal request which asks the debtor to pay the outstanding debt within 21 days and failure to do so would allow the creditor to bankrupt the debtor (if they are an individual) or wind up the company (if they are a business). The minimum amounts owed to be able to issue a statutory demand are £750 if the debtor is a company or £5,000 if they are an individual. For the relevant forms to serve a statutory demand see here: https://www.gov.uk/statutory-demands/forms-to-issue-a-statutory-demand

As a final tip, it is always advisable to keep copies of any correspondence sent and received as the courts would like to refer to it if it ever gets that far.