ivorylounge
ivorylounge,
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
27487359

The company I work for reimburse my mileage monthly for my

The company I work for reimburse my mileage monthly for my day to day travel. This month they decided that the distances I’ve entered aren’t accurate (they are a french company so have no idea about routes used, traffic etc) and have told me they will only reimburse me for the shortest distance. They have withheld mileage from this month, and decided to ‘ammend’ the previous 12 months mileage and withdrawn over £2000 from expenses to take back what they wrongly feel is an overpayment. Is this legal?

My name is ***** ***** I have been asked to help. The law requires your employer to reimburse reasonable expenses necessarily incurred in the course of your employment. The fact that you have this agreement in place for a period of time makes your case/claim even stronger. The simple fact is that they owe you the money. It is essential that you get receipts for reimbursable expenses.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
But this is regarding mileage do receipts are n/a

And they pay you a specific fee for miles driven? Which you can prove?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
For the first 10,000 miles of the tax year they pay 45p per mile. They think that the distances entered are wrong according to the destinations so have clawed back over £2000 from my recent expenses.

Then yes you are entitled to this money fro them.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
for them to ‘claw back’ what they wrongly see as overpayments over the past 12 months is not legal? What recourse Do I have?

Yes it is wrong. I would be minded to write to them formally. You can complain to the tribunal or to the small claims court. It might be an idea to threaten that first though. I hope this helps and please rate positive.

You have given a negative whilst I am trying to help you

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Sorry, I hit the wrong star by mistake. Can I re-rate?