12826847

I am a law student interest going into criminal law and am

I am a law student interest going into criminal law and am interested in the UK law re Prostitution. I have a few questions regarding certain scenario's.
If someone calls an escort by an agency to their home, pays them and then some of that money goes to the agency, is that classed as pimping? If so are the agency and customer both liable
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No it is just academic nothing else
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

"Escorting" is not prostitution.

That would be perfectly legal because escorting is not prostitution.

If they were to advertise prostitution then there is an offence that covers that but not specifically with references to newspapers. Mostly it has been telephone boxes.

unless the agency engaged in exploitative conduct, within the meaning of the criminal justice and public order act, they wouldn't be committing an offence though per se.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thanks for that. Just a few points then, is someone calls an agency for an escort who comes to their hotel room, they pay for it , some of that money goes to the agency and some to the escort who then engages in sexual activity. Has either the agency or the customer committed an offence? Would that answer differ if the escort had been forced into it even if the customer did not know? Can escorting include sexual activities? Also if months or years occur after an offence like this is committed are the police likely to pursue it? Do they need to only prove intent to pay not actually paying for sex? Finally how do Temptation websites legally get away with using premises for sexual means as well as advertising it on their website including nude photos of girls? Many Thanks

Not unless the agency 1 Knew that sex was being negotiated and 2 Engaged in exploitative conduct.

Customer hasn't committed an offence.

It would be different if the escort had been forced into it but the customer not knowing would be a defence.

Anything can include sexual services. Escorting is not per se.

I don't know anything about that site but probably they are based abroad or doing nothing unlawful.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry I meant escorting websites in general that was just one website. Sometimes they advertise sexual services usually in Euphamisims? Is that legal?

Not normally unless the advertisements are lewd and euphemism usually avoid that.

Obviously it would need to be proven it was a euphemism.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Last question on this that I asked above.If a clients sleep with prostitutes who it then turns out are exploited or working for a pimp that is illegal. The client can therefore be prosecuted under third party liability. How far back are the police likely to pursue the clients. if months or years occur after an offence like this is committed are the police likely to pursue it? Do they need to only prove intent to pay not actually paying for sex?

It isn't particularly likely the police would pursue anybody unless it is caught up in a bigger investigation like human trafficking or control of child prostitutes.

Not sure what your last question means?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If a client was about to pay for sex and sent a text to agency indicating that then pulled out of deal, could their intent still prosecuted? That’s what I meant

No. That is not an attempt.