Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I work in a supermarket and when signing my contract, I only

I work in a supermarket and when signing my contract, I only signed one copy which was my company’s copy, my copy of the contract was never signed by me or by them, is this still a legal contract?

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Have there been any issues with the contract?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had a temporary contract at first, which I filled out a flexibility form for my shift times, I was then given a permanent contract which is the one I’m asking about, but my workplace are still trying to make me work the flexibility hours I agreed to on my old contract which I now believe is void. This new contract was two copies one for me and one for my managers, my copy has never been signed by anybody, but their copy has been signed by me and by them.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have also not filled out a new flexibility form for this new contract.

when were you issued with that contract?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The new contract was issued 07/01/2018

A contract does not need to be signed by both parties for it to be legally binding. It would be good to get it signed so that there is evidence that both parties are aware of it and have agreed to it, but it is not a legal requirement. If it can be shown that the contract was offered to you and that you had accepted it and started working under it, then it can still be just as legal, even if it was not signed by anyone. That would depend on what happened after it was issued, such as did both you and the employer start working under its terms, etc

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will rate 5 stars as perfect answer, but since I’ve signed their copy of my new contract, does that make my old contract void? As they’re trying to make me do things that are in my old contract.

it would have made it void as long as the intention was to start the new contract and when you were given it, you started working under the new terms

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for all your help, will be rating 5 stars, have a brilliant day.

you are welcome and all the best