LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

We have a large tree in the front drive way at the edge of

We have a large tree in the front drive way at the edge of pavement at the front the house which is hanging over the neighbour's drive way. I have a call from my tenant that the neighbour is trying to contact me for claiming damage on her car's paintwork from falling leaves. Am I reliable for it?

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.

If your tree is overhanging her garden and causing damage to her car then in theory you might have some responsibility. However, has she complained before about this. If not, this will help you. Also, leaves damaging a car? I would think that would need the leaves to be on the car for some time. So it may well be that the real cause of any damage is her failure to look after her car properly.

In addition, to the extent that the tree overhangs her land she has the right to maintain it and chop off branches etc. Is she hasn't done this and is suffering as a result then this is not your fault.

So, there is a slim theoretical chance that you are responsible but it is very unlikely to be a real risk.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you very much. We bought the property 2 years ago. There were no complains before. The neighbour in question lives in one of the 3 flats next door. She maybe a tenant herself. I saw there were 3 cars parking in their drive way. One car parked closed to the fence and the tree over-hangs a bit. The tree was at the edge of my property where the pavement meets. My tenant said she called the council and the council told her it was my responsibility, not theirs. If she calls me, how should I respond her? Thank you.

you should use the information above to politely tell her you don't agree you are liable.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is that my responsibility to trim the branches hanging over my side regularly?