How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 72896
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My wife had treatment on the NHS that we have to pay for.

This answer was rated:

My wife had treatment on the NHS that we have to pay for. The NHS has issued an invoice that I believe is incorrect . I contacted them and they conceded it was wrong and said they would correct and reissue the invoice. I heard nothing from them despite attempts to contact by phone , in writing (recorded delivery) by email and via my MP still no response. I received a debt collectors letter two weeks ago for the incorrect amount, I immediately contacted them in writing, they put the case on hold pending feed back from the NHS , they have responded to say the full amount is payable, the debt collector are onto me again now demanding a payment arrangement in the next 7 days or court action will follow. I am not disputing that there is a bill to be paid just the amount being wrong and the NHS has not responded to attempts to resolve. Where do I stand? And what action can I take?

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

What action are you hoping to take?

Have you paid the fee you accept?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What I’m after is dialogue, acceptance that’s he invoice is wrong, the correct invoice issued and for me to then pay it . But the NHS seems to be refusing to talk to me .
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have paid the just answer fee if that’s what you were referring too.

No, no. The fee that is due to the NHS?

Jo C. and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I have not paid it yet. The full bill is £9,507 and I paid a cash deposit of £4000 pre treatment

You ready now?

Are you aware a call increases costs and I can carry on online for the same price?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok let’s continue online please

Ok. What do you accept owing?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I believe I owe £2827.00
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is a significant amount of documentation I have sent to the NHS setting this out it runs to about 30 pages
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have offered to pay this in full on receipt of the correct invoice.


Your options are really either pay the sum you accept and invite them to sue for the difference.

Or refuse to pay at all until they invoice you correctly.

If you are intent then you can carry on negotiating with them but the reality is that things don't usually get better so it all turns into a waste of time. If they refuse to agree then they refuse to agree. They cannot be sued for refusing to do so.

One way or another, they will either sue or they won't. Generally speaking they do but then you can get a determination

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the response. If I pay what I believe I owe, will the NHS sue me for the balance as they understand it and I can then go to court and argue the point before it escalates to bailiffs knocking on the door. ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
At what point will I get a determination? Not sure
What That means?

The court ruling?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
All noted and thanks very much.

No problem.

All the best.