12826847

My wife had treatment on the NHS that we have to pay for.

My wife had treatment on the NHS that we have to pay for. The NHS has issued an invoice that I believe is incorrect . I contacted them and they conceded it was wrong and said they would correct and reissue the invoice. I heard nothing from them despite attempts to contact by phone , in writing (recorded delivery) by email and via my MP still no response. I received a debt collectors letter two weeks ago for the incorrect amount, I immediately contacted them in writing, they put the case on hold pending feed back from the NHS , they have responded to say the full amount is payable, the debt collector are onto me again now demanding a payment arrangement in the next 7 days or court action will follow. I am not disputing that there is a bill to be paid just the amount being wrong and the NHS has not responded to attempts to resolve. Where do I stand? And what action can I take?

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

What action are you hoping to take?

Have you paid the fee you accept?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
What I’m after is dialogue, acceptance that’s he invoice is wrong, the correct invoice issued and for me to then pay it . But the NHS seems to be refusing to talk to me .
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have paid the just answer fee if that’s what you were referring too.

No, no. The fee that is due to the NHS?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No I have not paid it yet. The full bill is £9,507 and I paid a cash deposit of £4000 pre treatment

You ready now?

Are you aware a call increases costs and I can carry on online for the same price?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok let’s continue online please

Ok. What do you accept owing?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I believe I owe £2827.00
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
There is a significant amount of documentation I have sent to the NHS setting this out it runs to about 30 pages
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have offered to pay this in full on receipt of the correct invoice.

Ok.

Your options are really either pay the sum you accept and invite them to sue for the difference.

Or refuse to pay at all until they invoice you correctly.

If you are intent then you can carry on negotiating with them but the reality is that things don't usually get better so it all turns into a waste of time. If they refuse to agree then they refuse to agree. They cannot be sued for refusing to do so.

One way or another, they will either sue or they won't. Generally speaking they do but then you can get a determination

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks for the response. If I pay what I believe I owe, will the NHS sue me for the balance as they understand it and I can then go to court and argue the point before it escalates to bailiffs knocking on the door. ?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
At what point will I get a determination? Not sure
What That means?

The court ruling?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
All noted and thanks very much.

No problem.

All the best.