How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11190
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Im looking for advice on council tax for a rental property

This answer was rated:

Good morning, im looking for advice on council tax for a rental property for april 2017 to march 2018. we were in a joint agreement, the rent was £875 and the bills took payments to £1200 so we split the lot so we payed £600 each, my flat mate never payed the council tax and has now moved out and i have a demand for £1100. i cant get in touch with him on phone, email, facebook etc and and looking for advice to see where i stand. do i have to pay the full amount or am i only liabale for 50%. In actual terms i have payed all bills and rent upto date and really shouldnt have to pay anything.I hope you can help.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Are you both named on the bill?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ok. Were you both named on the rental agreement?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Good afternoon I haven’t heard anything back as of yet

Yes, I asked if you were both named on the rental agreement?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi yes we were thanks

Have you spoken to the Council at this point?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
they say they just want the money. I’m prepared to pay Half. Then they can recover the rest from the individual. I don’t want to pay half as he should be paying.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did you get my last message

Yes I was just considering this. It is bad news I am afraid. As the bill is joint, then you are joint and severally liable.
This means you are liable for the full amount - both of you.

So if your joint tenant does not pay, you have to.

It is a single bill in both names. Technically you are liable for the full amount, just as your ex tenant is.

All you can do is complain to the Chief Executive Department of the Council. They will investigate this and report back to you. If they do not uphold the complaint then you can go to the Local Government Ombudsman.

They offer a free, independent service and can examine your complaint at:

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give, but I have a duty to be honest.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok many thanks for your help

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No thank you.
Many thanks for your help

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face at the top of the screen, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you