ivorylounge
ivorylounge,
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
27487359

My son-in-law went down my daughters personal/private text

My son-in-law went down my daughters personal/private text messages - conversations between her and I. He has screen shotted them all and has them in his possession. I received abusive texts over the weekend regarding what he had read. There was a conversation between myself and my daughter regarding a friend/colleague. He has this and has mentioned to his daughter that he will use this to expose me. Is this a legal matter. Just to know that he has read all my private messages I feel violated and has made me feel quite ill. I need him to know that this is not acceptable either legally or morally and put an end to this. Can you give me advise please.
Firstly he should not have gone through her messages without her permission or consent. If he is harassing you then you can stop this by applying if necessary to the court for a non molestation order. This would prevent these types of communication. You can also contact the police and advise that he is being threatening to you. Often however they will simply recommend the non molestation order. Happy to discuss and please rate positive
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
He is based And living In Germany and comes here once a fortnight. He is a very jealous and controlling man and has caused distraction in the family before. I am worried about him having the text messages in his possession although he has made no threats to me and the messages and phone calls stopped as I didnt respond. I now it is morally wrong to go through messages/conversations without permission however is it legally wrong? Can I get a solicitors letter to make it formal to him to back off and make him aware he may be breaking the law as I know this would certainly put an end to things.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I am in Scotland
you can but you would need to go to your local high street firm who could and would prepare such a letter for about £100. They could threaten the non molestation order. Please rate for my time.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Many thanks.
My pleasure