Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I live in an apartment, the commmunal television service

I live in an apartment, the commmunal television service ceased about three months ago when thieves stole the coax cable from antenna to receiver. I now understand that the the landlord has no plans to repair the service. I pay a monthly rent which includes a sum as a contribution to running costs such as maintenance, power, water, etc.. and I assume that it includes the cost of receiving TV. So can the landlord decide to withdraw the service without agreement or reduction on the rent?
Harry Fox

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Does it say in your agreement it includes TV?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No, it does not name the services in the contribution bundle but the apartment has a TV socket and the service was supplied from my occupation in August 2017 until the theft.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I am very hard of hearing so telephone conversations are almost impossible. Please continue with typing.

Ok. Then yes you would be entitled to a small reduction in rent.

It would not be much as it is nominal. Maybe £25-£50 a month at the most.

You can't withhold payment, but you can ask for a reduction.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Many thanks, ***** ***** ask for a reduction in rent and advise other occupants to do likewise.

Great