How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11084
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I live in an apartment, the commmunal television service

This answer was rated:

I live in an apartment, the commmunal television service ceased about three months ago when thieves stole the coax cable from antenna to receiver. I now understand that the the landlord has no plans to repair the service. I pay a monthly rent which includes a sum as a contribution to running costs such as maintenance, power, water, etc.. and I assume that it includes the cost of receiving TV. So can the landlord decide to withdraw the service without agreement or reduction on the rent?
Harry Fox

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Does it say in your agreement it includes TV?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, it does not name the services in the contribution bundle but the apartment has a TV socket and the service was supplied from my occupation in August 2017 until the theft.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am very hard of hearing so telephone conversations are almost impossible. Please continue with typing.

Ok. Then yes you would be entitled to a small reduction in rent.

It would not be much as it is nominal. Maybe £25-£50 a month at the most.

You can't withhold payment, but you can ask for a reduction.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Many thanks, ***** ***** ask for a reduction in rent and advise other occupants to do likewise.