Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My vehicle displayed engine management lights so I took it

My vehicle displayed engine management lights so I took it to main dealer. New part were fitted but the same thing happened 2 and half months later. The vehicle had to be towed to main dealer by the AA who confirmed it was the same problem. My initial understanding was the parts would be covered by warrantee. On visiting the garage a week later to find out what was going on it was implied that it was my driving style that had caused the problem and I should have smaller petrol vehicle. When talking to the mechanic he informed me that the pattern part they had fitted was smaller than the original, I had not been previously made aware of this. Now I am being pressurised by the garage to pay for replacement original parts. I have very uneasy feeling about their conduct i.e. asking about where spare key is and their need to change coding, not letting me access my vehicle alone to collect personal items etc.
Please can you advice me on whether I am liable for full cost

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

So the dealer parts which were fitted first were wrong?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was informed by mechanic after car went in for 2nd time! If I had been told original I would not have gone for pattern part

So if they had done it right in the first place - you wouldn't have this problem now?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
but are they liable for costs and do patterns part have warranty?

Did they say the replacement parts come under warranty?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry meant guartee from suppliers! Garage say my only oppotions is to pay further £3000 for Suzuki part but they can not garentee this will solve problem

Did they say the parts had a warranty?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not sure! But for same problem to reoccur in such short space of time & to find out replace was different they are at fault for not telling me
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Everyone I have spoke to says the garage should put the car right. I have been with my car for 3 weeks & don’t know what to do! If I try to remove my car to get 2nd opinion the liability changes surely
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you still there?

Sorry yes, I am just on the train.

How long have you had the car? How long is the warranty?
The issue happened 2.5 months after initial repair?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Had car 6 years

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

ok - then you are not liable for the cost.

They fixed it and it only lasted 2.5 months

If they fitted inappropriate parts, they need to do it as their cost.

If not, then you can seek a Court order to compel them.

You would need to complete form N1:

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf

The Court will send them a copy and see if they admit or deny the claim.

If they deny it the Court will set the matter down and decide whether to order them to correct the work,

Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 they must act with all reasonable skill and care. Parts fitted must be of suitable quality.

Clearly, they are not.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Pleasure. Can I help with anything else today?