Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

How are you? I stopped at a layby in Wales and there was a

Hello how are you? I stopped at a layby in Wales and there was a Quad bike on a trailer and it looked very suspicious. i decided to hitch it up and take it into town and make some calls and even call police to find the owner. A few miles up road I was stopped by 5 police cars and arrested for stealing it. Turns out it belonged to the Police and they put it in layby to entice someone to take it. I did but had no intention of keeping it, I wanted to return it to the owner because it was so strange and I thought it was dumped.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Why did you take it? Why didnt you report it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello Jamie, It was a spur of the moment decision, Of course in hind sight I shouldn't have bothered. I was robbed and lost 4 Quads last year and just thought I might be doing someone a favour.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm happy to type.

Why did you just not call the Police and wait there?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't know really like I said it was a spur of moment. I was going to go in to town and get some dinner and make some calls. It was random when I found out the police put it there and it belonged to them.

Ok - this is a problem for you. Just picking up items that do not belong to you.

It may be argued a reasonable person would have made a call. Not just hitched it up and taken it.

What is it you want to ask me about this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I suppose I want to know is it right for police to put things in place to tempt people to take them but when someone does take it with the intention of keeping it safe while the rightful owner is found or at least given to police for safe keeping. I know it's a random one.

Yes it is legal. They have dummy cars as well with a decent radio and film people breaking in.

It would go to Court and the Police would need to show you were going to keep it.

As I have indicated, the issue will be you did not make a call first.

If you had called, said it was there and that you were going to take it somewhere safe, you would be ok.

But sadly you did not. But they will still need to show you were dishonest

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, or the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for your info. I'll state my case in court. Hopefully the judge will understand. The police were actually good blokes when I got talking to them in the station. They knew of me because I'm a well known entertainer. I've never been arrested and wasn't on their computer. They jokingly said I was a virgin to the police because never had my details taken by police.

Sure. I am sorry it is not better news.

Can I help with anything else today?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No thats OK I'll go up top and give you 5 stars. Take care thanks and good bye.

Thanks and all the best.