Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I sold a voucher for piano lessons in December 2017, the

Hi, I sold a voucher for piano lessons in December 2017, the cost was £120 for the
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi I just sold a piano lesson voucher in December 2017, that was purchased by Charlotte for her sister Camille. Camille sent me a request for a refund on 27th April 2018. I would like to know whether I need to refund her or not.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is the voucher
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is the email conversations between us, Camille blackmailed me to refund her.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thank you

There is no automatic right to a refund in this case. The contract would have been between you and the original purchaser and at best she would have had the right to a refund within 14 days of purchase, unless you had given her a longer cancellation period under your own terms. If you did not provide any cancellation periods, which you did not have to anyway, then once the initial 14 days had passed, there would be no right to a refund. The only times this may still happen is if you cannot offer the promised services, which means where you are the one cancelling. Just because they have changed their mind does not mean they can get a refund – they either have to find someone else to use the voucher, by gifting it or selling it on, or simply write off that money.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks a lot for helping. I only have one final question. She mentioned she will "take things further" - my concern is if she escalates this to the court, would the court decline her request? Thanks a lot.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
On my voucher, it was written that "A 24-hour notice applies to the cancellation policy, any late cancellation will be charged for the full lesson fee (£30/ hour). The student will need to travel to the teacher’s place (20, Coode House, 7 Millsands, Sheffield, S3 8NR) for each lesson." Would this cause confusion for the cancellation period? I wrote this to assume that a lesson booking has been made and that the student cancels the lesson with less than 24 hour notice. Thanks.

This cancellation clause would only apply if they went ahead and made a booking using the voucher, not to get a refund on the whole voucher.

If she was to make a claim then she will have to go to the small claims court. I would not necessarily say the court will throw the claim out automatically (although you can ask for that), and potentially she can have her day in court. But even if you lost, you would only have to pay the refund for the voucher and the court costs, which will not be much, around £60.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for helping. I have given a 5 star rating. Have a good evening.

you are welcome and all the best

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry but I forgot to check - with my case, did the last sentence mean there are still chances I can lose in the court for this case? Even though I do not have the responsibility to refund her.

you can never predict the outcome of a claim - you have a strong case, but we also have to tell you that there is a chance, even small one, that you may lose

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks

no problem

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi, hope it is ok to ask another question. Can I ask if the person tries to arrange a piano lesson with me before 30th June and I am not able to provide that, what would happen? Would giving £120 refund for the voucher be able to settle this ? Thanks. (The voucher was £120)

Hello again, if they try to book a lesson before the expiry date but you cannot accommodate them, it does not mean that you have to refund them. It would depend on how soon before expire they book - if you were already booked up and had nothing available, then they should not have left it that late. In these circumstances you could offer to extend it slightly so that you can fit them in