F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

My husband left me for another woman 10 years ago. I have

My husband left me for another woman 10 years ago. I have been living in the marital home since. He now wants to gift me the house and give me £70,00 pension money when he becomes of pensionable age or on his death. Also wants a quick no fuss divorce which if I don’t agree to I need to get back to them by Friday 18 th may. I asked for details in writing which he has done by sending me an email last night! Is this legal? If he changes his mind do I lose everything because we will then be divorced? I don’t want to get nasty as everything has been amicable so far. Advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you in anticipation. Ann Milne

Hello for clarification - whats the reason for the rush now and get back to whom?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Because I most contest the divorce in writing to the court by 18th may or it automatically goes through as I understand it?

After 5 or more years of living apart, you can get divorced on the grounds of five years separation whether you consent or not so it doesn’t matter whether you agree or not, he can just do it.

As part of the divorce proceedings, you need to apply for a financial order or he does and when that is sealed by the court, it draws a line under it and you don’t lose it.

I will contest the divorce of I were you, I don’t know what grounds he is divorcing you, but I would just sign the papers and send them back. Tell him that you will sign them provided he agrees that he will not pursue you for the cost of the divorce even if he uses solicitors that’s only about 1500 in any event.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I’m happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. It’s important you use the rating service because that gives me credit. It doesn’t just give me a pat on the head! (Although there is an incentive scheme where the more five-star ratings I get, I do actually get a pat on the head! :-)) All you need to do is press Submit. Thank you.

If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you clarify ‘ I will contest the divorce if I were you’ please. You said at start that I can’t contest it?

I apologise for my typo. I would not contest the divorce if I were you. All it’s going to do is cost money you are going to end up getting divorced anyway. Remember the financial matters and the divorce itself are completely separate.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you very much for your help.