Many thanks for your patience. When a consumer makes a purchase from a business seller, they have certain 'statutory' rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, which states that the goods must be:
· of satisfactory quality – they must not be faulty or damaged when received
· as described – they must match any description given at the time of purchase
· fit for purpose – they should be fit for the purpose they are supplied for
If they do not meet the above requirements, you will have certain legal remedies against the seller, although note that there is no protection against fair wear and tear, misuse or accidental damage, faults that were pointed out at the time of sale or if you change your mind and no longer want the goods.
They state that this is a characteristic of the car but it would depend on whether this is indeed a common issue and it affects the way the car is driven, or if it is just an annoyance. You would not have to pay to have this investigated further if it is needed to show that the car was not fit for purpose or of satisfactory quality.
The rights against the seller are:
1. Reject the goods and request a refund - this must be done within 30 days of purchase or delivery.
2. Repair or replacement – this can be done within the initial 30 days or after, if that deadline has passed and a rejection is no longer possible. If a repair is not possible or has failed, the goods can still be rejected for a refund, or if the consumer wants to keep them, they can ask for a price reduction.
Based on which option you are wishing to exercise, you must contact the seller and advise them. If they refuse to discharge their legal obligations under consumer laws, you should remind them of these as per the details above. If they still appear reluctant to assist, write to them one final time, warn them that they have 7 days to comply and inform them that if they fail to honour your legal rights, you will have no choice but to report them to Trading Standards and start legal proceedings to seek compensation.
Please take a quick second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss what you can do if they refuse to resolve this and you have to take it further. There is no extra cost for this - leaving your rating now will not close the question and means we can still continue this discussion. Thank you