Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I’m struggling to get First Utility to sort out a problem

I’m struggling to get First Utility to sort out a problem with my meter. It is registering gas that is not being used - 330cubic meters in a week! I’ve received an annual statement for £1210 and customer services are offering me a payment plan. My annual usage is usually around £350 as I am a single person living alone in a 2 bed semi detached house.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The complaint was first raised 8 weeks ago

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Have they refused to come out?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They failed to attend on the first date I asked for and today i received a call saying they were coming to check the ELECTRIC! meter on June 7th. In the meantime my gas supply keeps being interrupted and when the valve is open it is clocking up a huge usage of gas.

Ok, you need to write and make a formal complaint.

First Utility Customer First, PO Box 6363, Coventry CV3 9LR

They will investigate the matter and report back to you.

If they do not uphold the complaint then you can go to the Ombudsman.

They will offer a free, independent service and can not examine your complaint at:

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy

That should resolve the matter for you.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your advice. It seems there is no quick fix to stop me from being so stressed. Should I detail everything in the formal complaint? I have kept careful records of dates, times and personnel.

No quick fix and it is good you have kept records.

Paper saves all! Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Great