F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Lowells have place a default my credit despite my writing to

Lowells have place a default my credit despite my writing to Vodafone (the originator of the alleged debt) on several occassions including to their initial debt collector, Advantis, twice, stating that I had no knowledge of the account and requesting evidence of the same, I never received any response to my letters.How do i a) clear the default and b) obtain restitution against Vodafone, Advantis and Lowells as I do not intend to let them get away with this.thank you in advanceMichael Beaumont

Hello for clarification - is this for an unpaid phone contract?

how long ago was this?

how much are you owing?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I assume so, but i did not have a contract with Vodafone and it relates to 2017 for £95

This has long since been a pet hate of mine that financial organisations can trash your credit history with the Credit Reference Agencies and say there is a default without the matter ever being decided on going to court. You just miss a payment on your credit history is trashed.

The credit reference agencies are allegedly regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority who do nothing about this.

Basically, it’s a bit of a “club” and if you pay the Credit Reference Agency annual fee, you are allowed to do that!

Imagine a situation where my friend owes me money and he is pay me £10 per week. He then misses one week . I don’t have the right to trashes credit history because there is a default so why should these financial organisations bully me as they do. It makes my blood boil until someone does anything about it starts properly regulating Credit Reference Agencies, carry on.

I will get off my soapbox now.

I don’t know whether you sent your request to Vodafone by email or paper letter but I would suggest doing the same including copies of the emails, but now doing it on paper and sending it by recorded delivery.

If you don’t get a satisfactory response within eight weeks, make a formal complaint in writing to the Financial Ombudsman Service, about their refusal to reply and registering the default against you. Make a complaint to Ofcom, about the same.

What you can do also is turned this completely on its head and pay them the £95 under duress/pressure and then take them to the Small Claims Court for a court order to get the money back and a further court order to have the reference against your credit history removed.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I’m happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. It’s important you use the rating service because that gives me credit. It doesn’t just give me a pat on the head! (Although there is an incentive scheme where the more five-star ratings I get, I do actually get a pat on the head! :-)) All you need to do is press Submit. Thank you.

If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
perfect thanks for your help, I think I will do both. I have long since become used to large organisations, often with at least tacit approval of government acting like the school bully in the playground, and as with the school bully the only action you can take is to give them a bloody nose.One last question i have never recieved an invoice from Lowells or Vodafone so not sure how i go about paying them, any ideas ?