How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12104
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I live in a flat with off road parking and a space allocated

This answer was rated:

I live in a flat with off road parking and a space allocated to me
An old van carrying a load of junk (taxed) has been parked in it for at least 5 days
I’ve left a note which has been there since the start so looks like the van hasn’t moved while I’ve been at work!
What can I legally do about getting it moved please

Hello for clarification - this van is in your allocated space for the last 5 days is this correct?

is there any signage saying that the spaces are for the residents at all?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
at least 5 days, and there are two signs one as you enter the car park and one on the bin store, both saying private parking and parking for residents only
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No problem I may not be able to answer call as I’m out and about today so please can you let me have some sort of feed back ?
Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I’m a little disappointed that I’ve had no real help yet

Sometimes we are delayed getting back to you because we have users and travelling and clients etc. We are all in practice we do not sit online all day every day. Sometimes there will be a delay getting back to you which is inevitable.
We haven't dealt with your question yet.
I see you have requested a telephone call and I would be happy to deal with that for you.
Are you aware that there is an extra cost for the telephone call?
Meanwhile, the police will not be interested in moving this vehicle.
By all means report it to them in case it has been stolen and dumped however.
You can get the registered keepers details from DVLA and here is a link on doing that:
You can then threaten the owner with court proceedings to have the vehicle removed. Unfortunately, there is no magic way of getting the vehicle removed if the owner doesn't want to move it, your only recourse then is to court. You can ask the court to award court costs against the owner.
What you can also do (to try to avoid this in future) is put a sign on the window and tell the registered keeper that by parking there in future, he is agreeing to pay a daily fee of £80. Then, you wait 10 days and the vehicle hasn't gone, you simply take into the Small Claims Court for £800. It's how the Private car parking companies work. Unfortunately, you need to put the sign on and then wait for the vehicle to go away and then when it comes back, levy the charge.

Can I clarify anything else for you?
I’m happy to answer any specific points arising from this.
Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. It’s important you use the rating service because that gives me credit. It doesn’t just give me a pat on the head! (Although there is an incentive scheme where the more five-star ratings I get, I do actually get a pat on the head! :-)) All you need to do is press Submit. Thank you.
If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.
Best wishes.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No need for a call, that was very helpful many thanks
Just felt a bit frustrated in not having heard very much - your explanation was perfect
Perhaps something similar W would have helped from the outset

I am glad to help. Can I help further?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No thank you - not sure I need to try anything other than you’ve suggested
I know the Police have far better problems to deal with!!
Thanks again

Do report it, just in case it's stolen but that's all the police will do, and note it down.

Before you go (you can come back at any time), please don’t forget to use the rating service because that gives me credit. It doesn’t just give me a pat on the head! The thread remains open. We can still exchange emails.
Kind regards.

F E Smith and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.