How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13493
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

When i brought this house with my partner i thought we did

This answer was rated:

When i brought this house with my partner i thought we did this as Joint owners and I have a signed document stating this. However reading the land register I am panicking. Can I send you a copy for you to clarify please

Thanks for your question. Send me what you have please to my private document email at***@******.*** to maintain you confidentiality.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will do. Thank you

The registered owners are you and Mr Rodrigues. What is your concern?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is this joint ownership? Will this need to go to probate?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My partner Nicholas Rodrigues has passed away.

Yes it is joint ownership and would need to go to probate.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I thought with joint ownership it would automatically go to the other person when one is deceased
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no need for probate.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I thought it was tenants in common.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I mean joint tenants not tenants in common

The title is held as tenants in common. If you look at the proprietorship section it states: “(23.06.2005) RESTRICTION: No disposition by a sole proprietor of the
registered estate (except a trust corporation) under which capital
money arises is to be registered unless authorised by an order of the

That indicates you are tenants in common and probate would be needed.

I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you