31090051

I am an event organiser and promoter. I signed a contract

Hi,I am an event organiser and promoter. I signed a contract November 2017 with a venue to host my event which was scheduled for 10th March 2018. This event was heavily promoted and involved international artists to perform.I received an email from their venue manager on 22nd January 2018 to say they will no longer host my event with no real reason. Because of this I had less than two months to find another venue, reprint flyers and re-promote my event. I lost out on a lot of money due to this.Would I have a case?Thank You,
Gareth

Thanks for your question. It is strange that they gave no reason and at first instance the venue would seem to be in breach of contract and would be liable in damages for your losses. However do you have any written terms and conditions with the venue? If so please let me see them.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. To give you a bit of a background, my company promotes events based on the music genre, Soca. The venue, Camden Centre, held a similar event from another promotion company on 13th January 2018 and were unhappy due to the number of attendees going over their maximum capacity although this would be controlled by the venue's door staff. I attended the event as one my favourite artists was performing and the venue's event co-coordinator was there. I tried to say hello but she ignored me.After receiving their email cancelling my event, I met with the venue manager who asked if I was at that event and I said I was as a patron. They said because of this, that is why they decided to cancel the event as they "did not see it fit for that kind of venue to be held at the Camden Centre".I had to try and find another venue at very short notice and luckily found one. I still has to hold the event as money was already spent on artists, DJ's and a street team. I ended up spending £8,500 more on the new venue alone which affected ticket sales as patrons were already set on going to the Camden Centre. This also made my brand lose credibility.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
34;did not see it fit for that kind of event to be held at the Camden Centre" - correction

I presume they had previously accepted you application under clause 3 of the contract. That being the case, in order to cancel the booking they would have to rely on this clause:46. Our right to cancel bookings
We will have the right to cancel any booking at any time if: -
a) Exceptional circumstances of public importance or public safety arise, or if the interests of the
public justify cancellation;
b) If there is a risk that damage might be caused to the Centre if the booking is not cancelled;
c) If the event for which the Centre is hired is likely to lead to any disorder, any offensive public acts, or any acts contrary to sobriety, decency or the law.
d) If there is a need to close the Centre for refurbishment or redevelopment.
In the event of cancellation under (d), we will give you as much notice as reasonably possible and where appropriate give advice and assistance to find an alternative venue. In all circumstances we will not be liable to compensate you for any losses incurred as a result of our cancellation.

So for them just to say they did not see it fit for that kind of event to be held at the venue is insufficient reason. They would have to be far more specific and be able to justify something under the contract. If they cannot you have a prima facie case for claiming your losses as damages. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Makes sense. I appreciate your input. Thanks