Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I received a quote from a builder, and I have said to him

I received a quote from a builder, and I have said to him that I would not want him to do the work. He then sent me a bill for coming out to do the quote. Prior to coming out to quote he did not tell me (in person or in writing) he was going to charge for this service. Do I legally have to pay him for this?

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Whilst some people charge for quoting you, this is something which needs to be agreed in advance, or at least you should have been given the required information about that to allow you to decide whether to go ahead with it or not. Most people would assume that a quote is free, unless you are told otherwise. If they are going to charge, it needs to be made clear in advance. Without any such information, you cannot expect a retrospective charge. As such, you can reuse to pay him.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you