Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

How does this service work? Do I have to pay for an answer?

Assistant: You end up paying for the answer if you are satisfied with it.
Customer: How much would that be? It's a question regarding tenancy agreement in UK
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: Oh wait yes we received a notice seeking possession of the property, and want to know what our legal requirements are if we want to leave early?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, my question is whether we are legally allowed to end our tenancy early once we've been served the notice of possession letter that I attached.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

If you are outside your fixed period you can give a months notice.

If you are not outside your fixed period then you can not leave early and can only leave at the end of the S.21 notice.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry but that doesn't clarify, you say If I'm outside I can leave if I'm not outside I can't leave? So even if we've found somewhere to move to we can't give our standard month's notice as per in the contract?

You can give a month, if you are not within your fixed period of tenancy.

Does that clarify?