31090051

I was operating a website as a sole trader, but I have

Hi,I was operating a website as a sole trader, but I have recently incorporated a Limited company. Now, I want to operate the website in the name of the company. So, if someone makes a claim against something related to my website, the company will be responsible. How to make sure this separation occurs in practice? I suppose I will have to transfer all the website expenses (domain, hosting etc) to my new business account, is that correct? Thank you

You should do the transfer of domain, hosting etc. That will completely divorce the individual person from the site. Many websites are owned by persons other than the businesses that are promoted on the front end of the internet but were there to be a claim for defamation, for example, the owner of the site could be pulled into the action. As long as the website clearly states to the world that the site is for the particular limited company then you should not have any problem but I would take the additional step of putting everything in the company name. Hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The defamation is particularly important for my website as I review lots of products. What do you mean by "the owner of the site could be pulled into the action"? Thanks

A website owner is a publisher. If the website publishes defamatory material then the owner as publisher could also be sued in the same way that a newspaper publisher could be sued for an article written by a journalist.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, it's all very clear now. Thanks! Regarding what you said in this sentence "As long as the website clearly states to the world that the site is for the particular limited company then you should not have any problem". Why do you mean by clearly states? In all my reviews I speak in first person singular, is it a problem?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry, not why* "what do you mean by clearly states"?

The company details should be clear on the website. Name, registered office and company number.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, I will do that. Thank you very much sir.