Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

My Ex partner is kicking off at me about a cat he gave me

My Ex partner is kicking off at me about a cat he gave me whilst we were together.
We have had him chipped under my name since we've had him and he is adamant that he can take him as he's still his as he is registered at a vet they took him to before the handover but dosent chipped till after the handover at a different vet
So just want to know who's the legal owner?

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long have you had the cat for?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Around 2 years
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Possibly 3

Thank you. So just to clarify what happened - he bought the cat but gave it to you as a present?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was a birth from one of his current cats and then gave it to me once it was old enough

Thank you. The legal ownership will depend on the intentions of the parties, specifically the original owner. As he was the original owner, the starting point is that this is still the case, unless it can be proven otherwise. However, at some point in the past he gave you the cat and that could have changed the ownership, although it would depend on his intentions and whether this was supposed to be an unconditional gift to you (i.e. did he only give it to you assuming you would be in a relationship and he would still be a type of ‘joint’ owner, or was it an outright gift to you). In reality, it is unlikely there would be anything in writing confirming any of this and it would depend on your own evidence. It is rather irrelevant whose name is ***** ***** chip or who has registered it with the vets but things lie who cares for it on a day to day basis, pays for its food, expenses, etc will be relevant.

In the end only a court can decide who the legal owner is and I am hopeful that it will not get that far. For the time being, just refuse to accept it is his and make it clear that as it was a gift, you had become the legal owner.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it has answered it perfectly thank you very much for you time.
I have already reported the incident to the local police as he has been adamant on stealing the cat back if I refuse to hand it back over.
As it was an outright gift to me with no join ownership as me and my mother have paid for all vet bills and food etc since the handover.

Yes it does sound like legally it is yours so do not be intimidated by his threats and stand your ground

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will do.
Thank you so much for your time.

you are welcome and all the best