How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11081
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I own a self storage company in Essex We have a County Court

This answer was rated:

Good morning.I own a self storage company in EssexWe have a County Court Judgement one of our debtors who has still not paid. This debtor still has contents stored in our container so I was wondering if, given that we have a judgement against the debtor and that our terms and conditions allow us to dispose of a customers' goods in the event of non-payment, if we can proceed with the disposal and not
have to involve baliffss?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Yes, you can dispose, but you need to give 30 days notice.

Then you can dispose and no, you do not need bailiffs.

It is a container, not a building.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When you state we need to give 30 days notice as the defendant is not responding to any form of communication do we still need to send a recorded delivery letter to the last known address?Also as we do have other customers items stored in a warehouse would it make any difference if we go along the same route and state we are going to dispose of their goods is payment is not received within 30 days?

Yes, I realise. But unless you have said 30 days or we will dispose of then you can't do it

It does not need to be send recorded, just to the last known address - get proof of posting

You can only do it to other customers if the terms allow.

I would always get a CCJ first.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
that's fine. Thank you

Great. Can I help with anything else today?

Jamie-Law and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you