How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11262
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

My daughter has been admitted to the Priory Eating disorder

This answer was rated:

My daughter has been admitted to the Priory Eating disorder unit for anorexia, she does not have a problem eating, she isn't maintaining her weight.She has never been working out or throwing up when at home. Being at the Priory, she is not happy to have to listen to the other girls talking about the 'Voice', self harming or any of the other symptoms.She just feels fat when she eats and is worried about becoming fat again, other than that is is fine.Being with these girls, it is effecting her mentally and wants out as she is really scared and does not want to start thinking like other girls.She was admitted voluntarily, not secessioned.what rights do i have to take her out and go private with a Psychologist, as this is all she needs to recover?Please can someone get back to me.My contact number is ***** 603452 and email***@******.***I hope to hear back form you soon.Regards,
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello for clarification - how was she admitted? through GP?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no the CAMs Eating and Disorder unit
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, sorry.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please continue to text/email i won't be able to call.

If she was admitted voluntarily, then she can come out voluntarily.

How old is she?

I’m not certain what the problem is here. Thank you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If we were to take her out and the clinic felt she is still under weight, they said they can secession her.
We are worried about that.

How old is she?

You say that she feels fat when she eats and is worried about becoming fat again. Surely that is a symptom of anorexia or am I missing something?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Shes 16, yes she has the symptom of anorexia but not the thoughts of self harming or throwing up.We feel she is getting depressed being in the surroundings of the other girls who are self harming and talking about it, is making her depressed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She lost weight for a family wedding which went out of control.
She never wanted to loose too much weight.

Thank you.

Of course you can take your daughter out if she was admitted voluntarily but there is a chance that she would be sectioned if she is deemed to be a danger to herself. She cannot be force-fed as the situation with that changed some years ago.

If she is sectioned and you are not allowed to go privately to a psychologist, you are going to have to make an application to court for consent to do that.

Before taking your daughter out, I would suggest that you arranged everything and then speak to her specialist about what you are proposing because there is less chance they are going to section her if they know you already have a plan in place.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She is no danger to herself at all. How would l make an application to the courts

You don’t make an application to the court until she has been sectioned.

It would be a part eight application under the Civil Procedure Rules.

Unless you have experience of it, it’s not really a do-it-yourself job if you want to have any chance of succeeding although because there is a potential human rights issue here you may be eligible for legal aid

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How can i find out if i can get legal aid?
Is thus a quick procedure?

You need to see a solicitor who has experience of such cases and who also has a legal aid franchise and you might need to ring around a few in order to find one.

You cannot make the application yourself.

In respect of a court application, if there is some urgency with it, the solicitor can make an emergency application which would be in court in a day or so

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I’m happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. It’s important you use the rating service because that gives me credit. It doesn’t just give me a pat on the head! (Although there is an incentive scheme where the more five-star ratings I get, I do actually get a pat on the head! :-)) All you need to do is press Submit. Thank you.

If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.


F E Smith and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will be in contact with you over the next few days.Thank you