12826847

Could you please tell help me with some advice. If a group

Could you please tell help me with some advice.
If a group of men are in a room chatting and having fun, possibly slightly drunk and one of the men is caught in the act of snorting cocaine, are all the men legally liable or is it just the one man actually caught in the act? If all are liable, how can it be proved that all the men were involved in drug abuse when only one was caught?

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

where was this room? were police involved? if so what happened?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
In a social club and no police involved. The licensee asked them to leave which I believe they did.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The club want to ban all of the men but only one was caught actually using.

Well, that is a wider point.

There isn't a criminal case against anybody except the man caught using.

But the club can ban for any reason they like unless it is something that offends against the equality act.

This is not really any reason they like though. This sort of thing effects their licence which would place their business at risk so a ban is not unreasonable I'm afraid.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No but thank you for your help.

No problem.

All the best

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry Jo but can I just ask one more question? Is it reasonable to ban all the men involved and in the room or just the person actually caught using? Thanks.

it is really within their sole discretion.

Either action could be justified.