F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I have inherited my grandfather's artworks and want to

I have inherited my grandfather's artworks and want to reproduce them. He willed everything to my grandmother making no specific copyright provision. She in turn left everything to myself and my cousins. Who are the copyright owners?

Hello for clarification - how do you intend on reproducing them?

what are they?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
designs to be licensed to a company for reproduction as cards and any other appropriate things
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
It's the copyright question to which I need an answer
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Please let me know immediately if this is not your particular area of expertise

Copyright endures for 70 years beyond the death of the creator regardless of who subsequently inherits the works.

If he will do everything in his estate to your grandmother but made no specific mention of these artworks, then the copyright belongs to your grandmother.

I am assuming that your grandmother has now passed away.

If she then does the same and leaves everything to you and your cousins with no mention of the artwork specifically, then you and your cousins own the artworks in the same proportions that you inherited everything else from her estate.

You can of course do a deal with your cousins whereby they get a royalty for allowing you to use these items or they may not be bothered.

Alternatively, you can agreed between you, you could agree to buy out their interest in the artworks or divide them between you, whatever you can agree. They are more likely to agree if they think that there is no value in them.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I’m happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. It’s important you use the rating service because that gives me credit. It doesn’t just give me a pat on the head! (Although there is an incentive scheme where the more five-star ratings I get, I do actually get a pat on the head! :-)) All you need to do is press Submit. Thank you.

If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you very much for your answer. You shall have your pat on the head.