How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35575
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am in the process of buying a house with my husband & 2

This answer was rated:

I am in the process of buying a house with my husband & 2 kids.
The mortgage is in my husband's name only so in line with lenders t&c I have been asked to sign a occupier waiver.
Does this agreement take precedence should we divorce, or would I still be entitled to 50/50?
Many thanks

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will respond further within a few minutes

The paperwork that you are being asked to sign only relates to the interest of the mortgage company.

This means that you cannot argue that you should not have to pay the mortgage company back their share

You retain you matrimonial home rights - and your claim in the event of a divorce.

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That's great & what I expected, plus what I hoped. Thank you for your help

You are most welcome I hope the move goes well

Clare and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you