ivorylounge
ivorylounge,
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
27487359

Have paid for a local builder to have a solid shed, fence,

Have paid for a local builder to have a solid shed, fence, patio & path build. Have paid in advance because the builder wanted to receive the money in the old tax year. Work has started in March, but is very slow and he keeps letting me down:- giving me dates and then not turning up. Have paid approx £12,000, possibly a quarter has been done so far. He should have come today, have sent a message to see what‘s happening to which I have not received a response. Previously he sent at least reply. I am worried that I have lost my money. Please advise what I should do. Thanks in advance.

My name is ***** ***** I have been asked to help. I would write a formal letter to him (you can get a solicitor to write such a letter for about £100) advising him that you expect the work finished by a specific date (give him maybe 2 weeks) and should he fail to complete the work by that time you will consider him in breach of contract and seek either the completion of the work by someone else or your money back. You can then should you so wish pursue a claim against him through the courts. I would also be minded to contact Trading Standards and any professional bodies he is associated with. I hope this helps and please rate with 4 or 5 stars for my time.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you very much

I hope this helps and please rate with 4 or 5 stars for my time.